Friday, February 12, 2010

Tuna Mac and Cheese Casserole

I made tuna curry the first night (one of those dollar stretching recipes from my childhood that I still find irresistible) after receiving the case of tuna via UPS and then tuna mac and cheese the second night.

Normally I just add a can or two of tuna to my mac and cheese recipe, but tonight I checked online to see if I could find another idea or two.  Probably 75% of the recipes have the word "easy" in the description or title.  Heck, if I wanted "easy" I could just go buy a can of cream of mushroom soup and check out the recipe on the label.  No thanks!

I found the following recipe online here, but tweaked it a bit.  I probably could've tweaked it even more.  I'm open to ideas.  :>)


Tuna  Mac and Cheese Casserole

4 cups of cooked macaroni (2 cups uncooked)
3 Tablespoons of  olive oil
2 Tablespoons of grated onion
3 Tablespoons of flour
1 tsp. dry mustard
3 cups of milk
1/4 tsp of Worcestershire sauce
14 ounces of water packed tuna
1 1/2 cups of grated sharp cheddar cheese
1/4 cup grated Gruyere cheese
1-2 Tablespoons of grated Parmesan Cheese
4 pieces of bacon (cooked and crumbled)
salt and pepper

Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.

First, in a medium dutch oven on medium low heat, add the olive oil and add the onion. Then whisk in the flour and dry mustard. Stir over heat for 30-60 seconds. Gradually add the milk, whisking. Cook until thick and smooth, occasionally stirring. Then add the Worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.

Now add the macaroni, the cheese, and the tuna fish (broken apart). Stir until just blended. Top the dutch oven with the crumbled bacon, cover loosely with a sheet of foil and put in the oven. Bake for 30 minutes at 400 degrees.

Serves 6.

No comments: