Saturday, November 20, 2010

How to be more literate


I grew up being read to by the adults in our circle of family and friends. Once I was able to read, it was my job (joy) to read for those younger than myself. I can still remember reading to my small nieces and pointing out simple, repetitive words, like "the", so they could begin to pick out words on their own.

Every year, it seems fewer and fewer of the short folk who enter L's and my realm know any nursery rhymes or "concepts of print".  And every year I read more and more studies and statistics about how important early literacy is. I have to assume that fewer and fewer children grow up being read to, but I don't understand it.  It's such a special time to spend with a child.  Reading together can be calming amidst a day full of deadlines.  Which is why I chose to continue to read to my girls at bedtime, even after they out grew my lap.

On that depressing note, here are a couple links to some good books for the younger folk--Christmas, fiction and non-fiction included:

Brian Floca books
Never Take a Shark to the Dentist
Ten Little Fingers and Ten Little Toes
Ben Hillman books
Bobby Bramble Loses His Brain

Christmas books:
Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree
Drummer Boy
The Secret of Santa's Island

Early Literacy benefits

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think it's all too easy to plop junior in front of a video game or the TV these days. I also think we are living in the "me" generation where no one cares about anyone but themselves. Sure, not everyone has that mind set but too many do.

Parents should be doing all they can to prepare their children for school and continue to support them in their learning so they can be successful. This includes teaching children how to behave. I do more behavior correction some days than I do teaching reading skills. Send your children to school ready to learn!

I better stop now ;-)

D

KandN said...

Unfortunately, I believe you're right, D. An overwhelming sadness falls over me whenever I hear a short person tell me they have a TV in their bedroom.
When people make the decision to have children, I'd like to think they've decided to make an investment in that child until they're out of the nest.