Friday, January 7, 2011

Baa Ram Ewe

A good 40 years of my life went by before N introduced me to my first taste of lamb, but it wasn't until the end of December that Jonathon gave us a nudge to try cooking it ourselves.  After taking the initial leap with the meat purchase, N found a recipe for leg of lamb with rosemary.  He began the marinating process 24 hours ahead of time and Jonathon handled the cooking process (I'm still sad that I made the mistake of washing the pan with the drippings, sorry Jon!).  Not only did the aroma wafting through the house induce salivation, that roast was an amazing taste sensation.

But with just Jonathon, N and I eating, there were more leftovers than usual.  I heard from several people that leftover lamb was slightly disgusting.  What?!  How can this be?  Yet, as I began a Google search, I found pages and pages of recipes for lamb leftovers.  Which led me to believe that the disgusting thing may have been an experience with eating an overly fatty cold slice straight from the refrigerator, because the masses were saying to craft a curry or stew with the morsels of meat in my fridge.

After much searching (hoping to find a recipe that matched not only what was in my pantry, but also one that sounded good to us and didn't take more than an hour to make), I stumbled upon the following recipe from  Taste.com.au out of Australia.  I did make a few minor substitutions after finding out I didn't have any Korma curry paste on hand after all, but it was moan worthy--I mean delicious.

Quick lamb curry
Make your curry in a hurry with this quick lamb curry recipe.

Ingredients (serves 4)

1 tbs vegetable oil
500g lamb fillet, diced
1 onion, chopped
1 garlic clove, crushed
1 tsp grated fresh ginger
2 tbs korma curry paste (or mild curry paste)
1 1/2 cup (375ml) beef stock or water
1 large potato, peeled, cut into cubes
1 large carrot, peeled, chopped
1/2 cup frozen peas
200ml coconut milk
Coriander leaves, to garnish
Steamed rice, to serve

Heat oil in a large saucepan over high heat, add the lamb and brown in batches. Remove and set aside.
Reduce heat to medium, add onion, garlic and ginger to pan and cook, stirring, for 5-6 minutes. Add paste and cook, stirring, for 2-3 minutes.
Return lamb to pan, add stock and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Add the potato, carrot, peas and coconut milk and cook for a further 25 minutes.
Garnish with coriander and serve with rice.

No comments: