Sunday, October 4, 2020

Two Views, One Show

 This past week, N and I, watched HBO's version of Mildred Pierce. Neither of us had watched the 1945 Joan Crawford movie or read the book, so we came with fresh eyes. My first thought, while watching the opening credits, was an appreciation for the modern "film noir" nod via the chosen graphics, music, the tempo and content of the dialogue. 

After we completed the mini-series last night, I discovered N had successfully predicted the ending and I was left gobsmacked. That night we started a discussion about the film, that continued the next morning. This afternoon, I began to ponder how we had such a different experience. Then it dawned me, N was seeing the story from the viewpoint of Mildred's husband, Bert, and I was seeing it via Mildred's eyes.

That's it. Nothing more. But it was a lesson in perspective. Shift yours for a change.

No comments: