Sunday, January 10, 2021

Reading in Bed--It's Where It's At

 One of our retirement schedule changes, included N deciding to take his shower before bed every night. When asked, he admitted to a desire to streamline the morning routine--with camping trips utmost on his mind. 

Then, there was one early or late-in-the-season trip we took, when he didn't adhere to the new routine. "What's up?", I asked, and was enlightened about the evening temperatures. Ever since he's been back on that horse, I'm left wondering, if it's my before bed reading habit that nudged this change.

I'm not often a "noisy reader", but I've had my moments. (Haven't you?) Even when I'm on the treadmill, watching a show on a tablet, I oft times laugh out loud or exclaim loudly. Not sure why I told you about N's schedule change--pretty sure it has zero to do with what I hoped to write. Seriously. {Um, K, did you forget what you were writing about?} Maybe.

Last night, as I read the author's paragraphs, the family in the story, was circulating some somewhat shocking sibling news. But, as each of them mused through this moment, they were caught up in a detail. And that distracting detail, was "egg in a cup, with soldiers". They seemed stalled by a sweet childhood food memory, that carried them to a moment, unbothered with the troubling sibling news. And there I was, right there with them, remembering that special sick-in-bed meal Mama would make. <sigh> And it's possible, I may have made some noise.

Love, K 💓

No comments: