Thursday, February 25, 2021

Chicken and Broccoli

Every single time I'm in the mood to make chicken and broccoli, I can't find the last recipe I used. Which usually means that that last recipe failed to amuse our taste buds. And so, off I go, looking for the elusive, perfectly suited recipe. This time, a recipe for chicken alfredo with broccoli, stood out. Mainly, because they didn't use a can of soup in place of making your own roux. 

But the recipe called for shells and I wanted to serve the dish with rice. No big deal, yet I was concerned I'd lose this recipe too, all because one day I'd look at that sheet of paper and exclaim, "I don't usually make recipes using shells". So here we go, writing it out for myself and hoping it makes enough sense for someone else to find their way.

Prep: Chop half an onion, cut up 2 cups of broccoli to desired size, shred a cup of parmesan cheese, cut up 2 cups of rotisserie/cooked chicken, mince 2-3 cloves of garlic, set out one ounce of cream cheese (if desired), one teaspoon Italian seasoning, measure out and set aside, 1/2 cup half and half with 1&1/2 cups of chicken broth, cook rice.

Oh, and since our historic ice storm, our oven has been out of action. I made this using an electric skillet.

Saute onions, in olive oil, over medium heat for 4-6 minutes or until translucent, add minced garlic for last 30 seconds. Scoop onions and garlic into a bowl.

Add 3-4 cups of water, bring to boil, add broccoli, cover, cook for 4-7 minutes, according to broccoli preference. Strain--save water for cooking rice, if you wish.

Gently toast 2 Tbsps of flour over medium heat, for one minute, add 2 Tbsp of olive oil, stirring constantly with a fork, for two minutes.

Add 1 oz of cream cheese, mash into roux. Gradually stir in a mixture of 1/2 cup of half and half and 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth, while constantly stirring. When thickened, add broccoli, onions and cooked rice. Add chicken broth if needed. Serve over rice. Enjoy.

And this is where I start wondering what detail I left out. Please let me know. Love, K


No comments: