Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Marietta Falls

One summer, when I was fresh out of high school, a small group of friends and I found what we considered to be our secret spot to hang out.  The special place was a ways up the Kalama River.  I don't have a clue how we stumbled upon it.  Probably thanks to one of the friends who lived up the river and had opportunities to investigate random trails.


I remember there was a turn-out or wide spot in the road (from area fishermen?) to park our cars at the head of the grassy trail.  It must have been a short hike.  I can't imagine we'd have ever wanted to carry a portable barbecue grill and cooler very far.

The trail ended in a small grassy area at the top of Marietta Falls.  We could sit and dangle our legs over the edge while enjoying each other's company and the view. 

When I first met N, it's one of the first places I took him.  I wonder if it was a test to see if he appreciated that special spot the same as me?  If it was, he passed.

No comments: