I made 2 changes: I used chicken thighs instead of breasts and Butternut Squash in place of the sweet potatoes. Be aware, it does take approximately 2 hours of combined prep and cooking time, but oh so worth it!
Sweet Potato Chicken Curry
- YIELD: 7 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
- COURSE: Main Dishes
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 cups vertically sliced onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons minced peeled fresh ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-ounce) can fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups (1/2-inch) cubed peeled sweet potato
- 3/4 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup frozen green peas
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1. Combine curry powder, coriander, turmeric, salt, black pepper, red pepper, and bay leaf in a small bowl.
2. Heat oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add chicken to pan; sauté 5 minutes or until browned, stirring occasionally. Remove chicken from pan. Reduce heat to medium. Add onion to pan; cook 10 minutes or until tender, stirring frequently. Increase heat to medium-high; return chicken to pan. Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in ginger and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add curry powder mixture; cook 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Add broth and tomatoes; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour. Stir in potato and chickpeas. Cook, uncovered, 30 minutes. Add peas; cook 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Remove from heat; stir in lemon juice. Discard bay leaf.