Thursday, January 23, 2020

Writing On Paper With Ink

How long has it been now, Roni? Weeks? Months? Years? When I peer back, it seems like close to a year, but to my 'heart-brain' our letter exchanging still feels recent. I don't know how else to describe that, other than it's comfortable mailing words to her--sharing mundane, ordinary scraps of our lives. And somehow, reading those bits, those sweet fragments, you start to feel that old familial connection again. Which is fitting, because what I knew about her and the rest of their family, was listening to Mom read their Mother's letters out loud.

I don't know where I might have planned on taking this, but wanted to share a small piece of the interesting process of writing regular letters back and forth. How sometimes the letters seem to write themselves (whoa Nelly!) and others are more of a narration on the past week's highlights. But there's no reason to despair when they don't flow like the ink. Think of it more as a way to gauge a mood or energy level. And some brain benefits might be nice--yeah, I'd like that. All the more reason to trade those letters.


No comments: