Saturday, August 8, 2009

Workaday Saturday


I don't even know what I was doing (probably messing around on the computer), but I didn't have a clue that N had taken everything out of the freezer, defrosted it, removed the door and was working on replacing the magnetic gasket (by the time I noticed). I'm happy to say that at least I WAS dressed and had already been out of the house twice. If I had still been in my PJs I would've felt like a total loser! And so the freezer looks amazing with room to spare and closes nice and tight like it used to in the old days. Too bad more appliances don't last as long these days (more than 30 years) as this one (knock on wood).
We can usually tell when either Jonathon will soon be arriving or leaving by the amount of cooking Fran engages in. As I prepped for bed last night, she had her cooking stool in position and asked me to retrieve her Kitchen Aide mixer along with a couple of pantry ingredients. She was getting ready to make pizza dough. Jonathon pulled in for a quick return visit (back from a friend's wedding in Florence) late this afternoon. He was just in time to help with the 4 pizzas; barbecue chicken with black beans, margherita, zucchini with riccotta and sausage with peppers. Delicious! Needless to say, we miss him when he's gone.

8 comments:

Salem Man said...

That pizza reminds me of Apizza. It's a shame appliances don't last as long as they used to. We have a cheap microwave waiting to go out with the trash that's barely a year old.

KandN said...

That's crazy! Barely a year old?!

When we first moved here, there was a microwave repair place out on Lancaster (nice folks). A few years down the road they began to sell supplements due to the lack of people getting their microwaves repaired.

smc said...

The pizza looks delicious. I've tried a few times to make pizza at home but I can never get the crust as thin as we like it and my oven doesn't get hot enough to get the charred blisters like Apizza.

KandN said...

Fran is pretty amazing in the kitchen. She found Peter Reinhart's wholewheat pizza crust recipe on 101 cookbooks and made it look pretty dang easy to get the crust thin. Me? I don't have a clue!

Lise M said...

Don't forget to recycle that microwave. Oh, and they pizza getting just right isn't from a hot oven it depends on three things: a pizza stone, not overloading the pizza with toppings, and the dough recipe. Our stove is slowly dying and the pizza was amazing!

Unknown said...

Awwww...
That pizza was delicious and looks even more delicious today! can somebody mail me some ribs?

Lise M said...

they might fall apart on the way. They were fall-off-the-bone juicy! ;)

Unknown said...

Killing me...