Sunday, July 4, 2010

Socially challenged

Just because I'm an adult doesn't mean I'm all finished with maturing or "don't stick a fork in me, I'll never be done".
Going to a social function makes me all too aware of that fact.  I blame it on my shyness.  After having been shy for 40+ years and then finding some relief in that area( thanks to pharmaceutical science), I find myself not knowing all the niceties and rituals of the social world.  Probably sounds lame, but I'm telling you, the feelings I get in those situations are lame, too.  Although, the definition isn't the same.

Bundle that together with being hard of hearing (yes, hearing aides are not a cure all) and I probably unknowingly hurt some feelings or cause people to shake their heads in bewilderment.  At least that what my late night anxieties tell me.  So, if I ever seem to ignore you or fail to do the most simple social niceties, feel free to gently educate me.  I'm never to old to learn, it just takes a few more repetitions to stick.

No comments: