Friday, December 2, 2011

Holidays and Books

Thanks to @SalemRebekah, I had an epiphany in the shower.
Isn't that where everyone discovers their best ideas? :>)

It's sad, but when a classroom has a student who doesn't celebrate Christmas (within our sheltered Oregon community) , there tends to be some grousing. It can be minor or it can go farther, depending on the teacher and the family involved.

The classroom to the south of us has such a student. And yes, I have been hearing some grousing.

After reading @SalemRebekah's tweet about refusing to inject any religious holidays into her course of instruction, I realized how families might interpret a teacher's decision to include/teach what they believe to be the only thing people want to learn or hear about.

Coincidentally, the classroom aide to the south of us, was sad because her favorite Christmas stories wouldn't be read this school year. It took some time, but eventually it dawned on me that perhaps we need to think and try harder when it comes to the stories we could be reading to the short folk.

On Twitter there were 2 friends who had recently experienced a "pay it forward" moment during their morning caffeination. And then @SalemRebekah tweeted -- "Informed coworkers today that I would be keeping church & state separated by not making kids do Christmas related assignments. #rebel"

It was at that moment when it occurred to me. Christmas stories weren't important. Sharing, caring and stories about generosity were the key. (slapping forehead)

So now my quest is centered around books to read to the wee folk about "paying it forward'.
So far I have the following books on a list of "to buy": (Please keep in mind that my focus is on kindergartners)

"Ribbon Rescue"
"The Mitten Tree"
"A Circle of Friends"
"My Most Favorite Thing"

Do you have any suggestions?  :>)




No comments: