Friday, July 26, 2013

Turkey Burgers--a new favorite

I wonder why I bother saving recipes for future use. When deciding what to have for dinner (unless I'm chasing a craving), I end up searching the web 90% of the time. Yup, I only use those carefully chosen cookbooks the other 10%.

Two years ago, I stumbled across a turkey burger recipe and used it several times. Oregano, Feta and sundried tomatoes were the delicious stars of those patties. Yesterday, I wanted to make turkey burgers, but I wanted something new, something untried by my tastebuds. And there's the mystery folks: how can someone who is perfectly happy with the same breakfast/lunch everyday, never be satisfied with sticking to tried and favorited dinner recipes?

The only changes I made were...

  • to substitute onion for the scallions, 
  • put all the ingredients (but the ground turkey) in the food processor prior to the final blending 
  • and made wee sliders instead of big burgers.


Here's my new favorite of the moment, thanks to Martha Stewart:

Martha Stewart's Favorite Turkey Burgers

PREP 10 MINS
TOTAL TIME 35 MINS
SERVINGS 4

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 pounds ground turkey (93 percent lean)
1/2 cup finely grated Gruyere cheese
4 scallions, thinly sliced
1/4 cup dried breadcrumbs
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
1 garlic clove, minced
Coarse salt and ground pepper
FOR GRATES
Oil

DIRECTIONS
STEP 1
Heat grill to high. In a medium bowl, use a fork to gently combine ground turkey with Gruyere, scallions, breadcrumbs, mustard, and garlic; season generously with salt and pepper. Gently form mixture into four 1-inch-thick patties.
STEP 2
Lightly oil grill. Place patties on hottest part of grill; sear until browned, 1 to 2 minutes per side. Move patties to cooler part of grill; continue grilling until cooked through, 5 to 10 minutes per side.


Sunday, July 21, 2013

A short camping trip? We'll take it!

We didn't leave until late morning on Sunday, but we didn't care, we were ready to go camping. Of course, many (including us) wouldn't consider parking a tent trailer in your older sister's front yard true camping. We were just happy to spend time with family. After 4 days (you know, that moment when we all start to smell fishy after overstaying our welcome?), we knew we wanted to keep camping, but weren't quite sure where we were going.

 We ended up turning west from Hoodsport, headed towards the Olympic National Forest and setting up camp at Staircase Campground. So many trails in the area, both challenging and otherwise. Oh and plenty of drama to watch in the campground. One group evidently had more than the 8 people limit in their group. They began to scout the campground and set-up tents and chairs in 3-4 sites. All without paying.

 It seemed everyone in the vicinity was aware of what was happening, but no one stepped up until a young couple arrived with their children and had to make do with a small site--while other larger sites were going unused except for young teens sleeping there at night. But that's another kettle of worms altogether.

Ps. How could I forget to add the trailer hitch story?
Since the intersection is slightly hidden in the visually busy town of Hoodsport, N missed the initial turnoff for the mountains. He did the next best thing--turned and drove through the parking lot of the Model T Pub & Eatery. They've installed a speed bump to ease the speed of folks cutting through and as the truck pulled the trailer over the hump we all heard a loud "thump".

The same time we were hopping out, three folks came running out of the pub. It was obvious I had failed to get the trailer properly secured to the truck's ball and as a result, the trailer's tongue was resting on the speed bump. Everyone sprung into action and we were quickly put back together and heading towards our campground.

We made a point of stopping at the pub for lunch when we returned to town for ice. I have a hunch they've seen their share of accidents on that busy congested highway.