Thursday, February 10, 2011

Kinesiology Taping

Ever since the first week of January, I've been dealing with the pain of Achilles Tendinitis. Ironically, I was over zealous on the treadmill, hoping to get better results.  It's been a month and a half since I've been on my old friend.  And I mean that in the purest of ways. :)

I've been regularly taking an anti inflammatory, icing and resting--oh my.  All with little result.  Yes, I know, once you pass 30 or 40 it takes twice as long to heal or repair injuries.  I'm trying to be patient.  Really.

And so, my dear Fran, has been researching.  She discovered the use of special elastic tape to assist and speed the healing of muscle injuries--Kinesiology (beware, this link is supported by one brand).  According to Google and number of results, I've been living under a rock.  Athletes and their trainers have been using these products for quite awhile with great results.

The goal is to increase blood circulation to speed healing time, while providing support or assisting the muscles and tendons that have been injured.  Physical and occupational therapists are using it, as well as trainers and chiropractors.  Some of what I've read on the web, looks like athletes are trying to continue their daily routine instead of taking time to heal, but the majority say it's working.


So, Fran chose one of the several tape manufacturers for me to purchase tape from.  When it arrived in the mail, she was eager to tape me up with one of the techniques she found on YouTube.  After the first day, this old skeptic, feels some relief.  After day one, the pain has eased and the origin seems to have migrated to another spot.  Now she's researching on how to modify my taping for the next time.
(Here's another link for information)

Stay tuned for more.

No comments: