Saturday, August 29, 2020

The Thirty-Fourth: Amusing Glimpses

Part of a series inspired by Ross Gay
that starts here: 

How often do we take a moment and see ourselves, our actions, and the consequences? Once a day? Or all the freaking time?
No?
Seriously?
How does that not happen?
I mean, seriously.
So much possible amusement--just sitting there waiting to be gleaned from the vine.

The reason I ponder, is because our current pandemic situation has given (me) more opportunities for navel gazing, and such navel gazing rarely fails to embarass or shame . . . me. It's a daily struggle, say the tee shirts and memes. I was recently invited to go for a walk with a long legged bud. So what happened the night before? The mental planning, setting the (now rare) alarm and then . . . unable to sleep.

Those moments illuminate how many relaxation strategies I keep in my pocket . . . er . . . or under my pillow: breathing methods, backwards counting, kegeling (seriously), singing to self, tensing and relaxing muscles throughout the body. But on these "alarm nights", the methods become more like amusements that spark memories that spark smiles or a busy brain. And that's when I start to look forward to the following night--when my body will be unable to resist slumber. Thankfully.

Sweet dreams

No comments: