Saturday, January 30, 2021

Sticky Memories

 Why oh why, do some memories stick in an easily accessible part of our brains, for such a long time? I'm certain I've lost a handful over the past couple of decades, but still--most of those brain stickers are still well stuck. I'm not complaining ... not usually.

There are two memories from my toddler time and I reckon there's good reason those two stuck. In both situations, it was all about wee me doing something that disgusted my teen sibs. And another, when I may have been a little older, of playing with a friend at their house, while my Mom was visiting with her friend and neighbor. Mom's friend had a console stereo and it was playing a catchy tune (that can still become an earworm, amazingly), Ragg Mopp. 

It hadn't occurred to me until very recently, that the reason I might remember Ragg Mopp, may have been entwined with the news my Mom and I, may have heard. Perhaps that was the day when we learned that her friend was getting a divorce and leaving with her children. 

You'd think the memories would include the sticking point. Or do they leave that section out to give us something to ponder in a pandemic. I know I've done my fair share of pandemic pondering. You?

Love, K

No comments: