Wednesday, April 29, 2020

In Search of a Good Read

Oh how I enjoy a visit to Reader's Guide! I know exactly where to prowl the shelves, looking for whatever will jump out at me--whether it's the cover, the first page or which author is making recommendations. And sometimes, it's just a hunch--and that's all I need to tuck it under my arm, and continue browsing.

During my last visit, a friend joined me. I don't know if it was the distraction of showing someone else a favorite bookstore, but apparently I wasn't giving the same attention to selection as usual.

After finishing a book by a well loved author, I selected the next in line--a New York Times best seller. There was something about the stodgy rhythm of the sentences and my brain failing to retain anything, that caused me to put it aside.

The next book was highly acclaimed . . . until it came under fire regarding cultural approbation. I decided to stick by my decision to purchase, but I couldn't shake the reality of reading a novel about a Latino family written by a European author. And yet . . . I have zero qualms about reading a book written by a woman writing in the voice of a man. Because, isn't that the same?

The next novel, brought me in quick with the clever prose of her writing . . . until she seemed to be getting a bit too clever for me. Maybe it's just me, but I like to be able to make sense of that prose.

And then I picked up the first book of a series. It wasn't love at first page, but more of a slow warmth that has enveloped me and brought me into the story. The main character wasn't immediately likeable, but she's getting there. And I'm leaning toward continuing the series after the first.

I have to say--what a relief! I was concerned that this was another symptom of the virus--or "sheltering at home". And, to be honest, maybe it still has something to do with our current situation. Maybe the book has to be better than usual? Or perhaps I ought to admit that my seeking skills fell off the shelf. (Shrugs) Whatever it is, I'm glad I persevered.


No comments: