Friday, May 28, 2021

A Bit of Musing on Human Behavior

Over the years, I've heard that alone time is important for our mental health. I don't remember all of the many reasons why. For me, being alone is all about taking the time for musing, reflecting and thinking. Sorting through all the open files? 

In my own case, the entire living space must be void of humans. Otherwise, part of my brain is holding them along with their wants and needs--changing the alone time to something less. The more people occupying the living space, the more brain power it takes for me to hold them all in the forefront of my mind. 

I don't think about this often, but last night, as I drifted off to sleep, I began to think about how I struggled with being alone, as a teen, while also surrounded by others. The thought stream began, when I wished I could go back and tell teen-me, to embrace those moments instead of feeling lost and alone. 

And that's when I realized, that those moments in the school hallways and the cafeteria, were similar to how it feels when others are in the house, but not engaged with me. So many hours, I spent alone as a child, but no one else was in the house. And that matters. Perhaps, this pull I/we feel from others in our vicinity, is a sign of the need we have for community. <shrugs> Love, K

No comments: