Saturday, April 24, 2021

Impaired

Recently, I had a conversation with a fellow hearing aid wearer. I was both reassured and disappointed to hear that we're similar in how we limit our time spent with soft talkers or mumblers. <sigh> Because (damn it), it's tiring of asking people over and over and over, to speak up and enunciate--even with our hearing aids.

It seems so simple, from our point of view, to talk at a slightly lower pitch with spaces between the words. I did it, as a middle schooler, when my father lost a good share of his hearing. I may have been overly proud about that accomplishment, but I had a good view of how frustrating it could be for him (over and over and over again).

It's important to note: WE WANT TO HEAR YOU. We're not doing this to antagonize or humiliate or for pleasure. Believe me, there's nothing pleasurable about sitting with people, who are conversing and enjoying themselves and only being able to hear half of the words. It's a lonely, isolating feeling. I can handle it for a certain period of time, and then, exhausted and sad, I'll just sit back and watch and try not to look at my phone.

Something I might be thinking about again, now that it's getting a bit closer to being able to get back out and about. Thanks for "listening". 

Love, K

No comments: