Saturday, November 21, 2009

Sleep, sweet sleep!


All through this nasty flu, I've been thankful for being able to sleep.  It's not perfect sleep, of course.  My nights include a fair number of coughing fits and fevered sweats (even a week later).

Near the beginning, I finally removed myself to the guest bedroom for 2 nights.  N wasn't happy.  He claims he can sleep through whatever I can dish out, but whenever I coughed, he stirred and with the major muscle pain I was dealing with--when the bed moved it was excruciating. 

It's certainly a mystery to me how he's able to sleep though coughing, tossing and turning.  Although, the noise from his sleep machine may block other noise out for him.  Me?  I wake up at the slightest sound in the house.  Which is why I began to wear earplugs a several years ago. 

It started out as an experiment.  At work, a group of us were talking about sleep and when I mentioned how often I had to get up during the night, someone suggested I may have a problem.  What?  Maybe a small bladder, but I was positive I didn't have sleep apnea.  I'm not sure if it was something I read or heard on the radio, but I decided to give earplugs a try.  For the first time in years I slept ALL the way through the night.  I was shocked.  I could still hear enough to know when things were going on around me, but all the little noises were muffled.   It took me awhile to find the earplugs I liked the best (Mack's Moldable Silicone Earplugs), but I've been wearing them ever since.

Sweet dreams to all of you!

2 comments:

smc said...

Maybe you should entitle this "Sleep SWEAT Sleep!" I hope you're on the rode to recovery.

KandN said...

That's about right. When I woke up at 6 this morning the bed was so soaked I had to leave to the guest room. Only took a matter of minutes to make that one uninhabitable, too. BUT later I had my first close to normal temp in what seems like a long time.
Now for the cough . . .
Thanks, S!