Thursday, November 12, 2009

High School wipe out


During a conversation last Monday, someone mentioned how their insightful mother rescued them from a less than satisfying high school experience by keeping her home and schooling her--mother's a teacher.  Someone in the group piped up and asked her if she had felt like she was outside looking in.  When she said yes, that person exclaimed, "me too!"  I've never thought much about how I felt during those years, at least until that moment. 
I loved the academic/competitive side of school until I reached 6th or 7th grade.  Who knows what happened to change my attitude or experience, but looking back it seems like I hit a wall.  Maybe it had to do with my immaturity, as I was enrolled in kindergarten at the age of 4.  I understand the effects from starting school too early can have consequences later on due to the social part of middle and high school life.
Was it all bad?  I doubt it.  I must have had some good times, but that's not what I remember now.  Now I wonder how I managed to graduate and why people from those years are looking me up on Facebook.  Really?  Seriously?  Why?

4 comments:

smc said...

I totally concur about the Facebook and old high school classmates now wanting to be "friends". They weren't my friends then so why now?
I will say that when I went away to college my whole outlook changed and I had the absolute time of my life. I loved every minute of it!

KandN said...

I've heard that from so many people. Makes me wonder what we're doing wrong in the way we structure our high schools?

Amber said...

I agree completely. I have often wondered how those four years of high school have more "friend requests" coming in than the fabulous 4 years of college. And I think the high schools need some revamping, but how?!

Rebekah said...

I definitely agree. If we all felt like outsiders in high school, are high schools maybe too big? Too impersonal? I think there are lots of options for revamping our high schools and I think it would be extremely beneficial to have alternatives. I know it was for me! :)