Monday, December 21, 2020

New Experiences for an Awkward Child?

 Growing up in a big family (by today's standards), eking out a life in a small town, I had few outside of the "shire" experiences during my growing up years--except for camping, trips to the store, visits to and the occasional meal at a neighbor's house. Yup, that about covers it.

I do remember being taken to the neighboring town to a Chinese restaurant with my folks and their friends--probably an issue with noone to watch me at home. I ordered a hamburger and my folk's friend, Ray, began feeding me morsels from his plate. Sweet Ray.

And then it was time for some kind of special class field trip to Portland, while I was attending high school. We may have gone to the zoo and the forestry center (I honestly have no memory) and then ended at the old downtown Old Spaghetti Factory for dinner.

About half of my fifty-fiveish classmates had been there before, but it was all new to me. There was much to take in--the quirky old building, the interesting seating and the people. So many people. 

When the waiter came to take our orders, I was completely at sea--green salad? Salad Dressing? Menu items that were completely foreign to me. Not a great feeling, when you're amongst your peers. 

My childhood bud, David, was beside me trying to assist with my choices, but was bewildered when I said no dressing on my salad. And, to be honest, once that bowl of green arrived--I was also bewildered. I'm sure I provided entertainment to my more experienced classmates. So that's something . . . 

Love, K

No comments: