Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Halloween or Hallo-won't

The year was 1991. The month was October. The day? The thirty-first. That was when our small family unit relocated to Salem. 

Such a full day: 

  • meeting at the title company, 
  • denied keys, 
  • broker advocating on our behalf due to a listing agent's upset over not having been the seller,
  • realtor bringing us McD's breakfast and a fig tree to soothe our upset,
  • finally emptying contents of moving truck into house,
  • and then the realization of ... the date. 
As the day crept towards late afternoon, oldest offspring began to ask about Halloween. My lame response: "On our moving day? I was thinking you could pass out candy to meet the new neighbors.", I uttered unsympathetically. 

Silly me, I thought I'd won and all was settled. But unbeknownst to me, the offspring had shifted their strategy towards N. Once the contingent of three, reappeared to talk to me, I learned that N had brainstormed costume ideas and settled the young and then he was ready to settle me. 

Such a sweet memory, of how he advocated for the kiddos, and made me see that it could easily be done. I bet he even drove to the store to buy the candy for the trick or treaters. That's my N. Me? I stayed and answered the doorbell. I smiled and handed out candy--even to the tyke who asked where Mrs. SoAndSo went and how much they liked her.

Love, K

No comments: