Wednesday, November 17, 2021

Another Decade, Another Strata?

Recently, I began thinking about the strata (breakfast casserole), that I usually make (once or twice) around the holiday season. And then a memory of older sis, sharing how well rye bread toast goes with over easy eggs, popped into my head. The flavor wheels in my brain began to spin and then I did a search and found a recipe. {cue trumpeting sound} 

At first glance, the recipe looked like a winner, similar to what I was imagining in my food brain. But when it came time to make a list of needed ingredients, I noticed the first problem--"a loaf of rye bread". And, "what size of loaf are they referring to?", irritated me wondered. There were a few other problematic things, but I soldiered on.

"Breakfast Strata Recipe with Rye Bread and Sausage"
(inspired by Today's Creative Life)

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Ingredients
Glass baking dish approximately 10x15--buttered
1 loaf rye bread, cut into cubes, toasted (my loaf was 24 ounces and was more than needed)
1 lb of breakfast sausage (I used 2 Jimmy Dean sausage rolls--one hot and one regular)
3 Tbsp of Dijon mustard
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 cups whole milk
10 eggs
2 cups of spinach (I cut mine into 1/4-1/2" strips)
1 small red onion, thinly sliced
2 cups of Swiss cheese, grated

Instructions
1. Set your oven to 400 degrees
2. Brown sausage with sliced red onion, drain and set aside
3. In medium bowl, whisk eggs, milk, mustard, salt, pepper, spinach, and half the cheese
4. Evenly and loosely, distribute the toasted bread cubes to the baking dish, do not overfill or strata will be too dry.
5. Evenly crumble the cooked sausage and onion over bread cubes
6. Pour egg mixture over the bread, sausage and onion
7. Add other half of shredded cheese over the top
8. Cover with foil and let sit in refrigerator for 2-12 hours
9. Remove from refrigerator, while oven heats to 400 degrees
10. Bake for 50-60 minutes and let rest for 5-10 minutes
11. Cut into desired pieces, serve and enjoy
12. Let me know what I missed--seriously

Love, K


No comments: