Sunday, February 28, 2021

The Moment

Whether it was late February 2020 or sometime during the first half of March of the same year, I'm not sure, but during one of our mornings of listening to the radio in bed, particular stories on Morning Edition began to make it clear to me that something big, deadly and contagious, was headed our way--if it wasn't already with us.

I can remember musing over the possible changes we'd need to make to stay healthy and thinking it was not a great time in our country's history for something so serious to happen. The following Tuesday (March 10), that I was scheduled to volunteer in kindergarten (after that musing) I mentioned to the office assistant, how I was wondering, when they'd put a bottle of hand sanitizer by the volunteer-sign-in area. That was my first encounter with--it's just another flu & there's no need to panic--kind of vibe.

When I got to the classroom, where I volunteer, I mentioned to my teacher that this may be the last time I'd be volunteering, until "this" was over. She said that she wondered if she ought to suggest the same to her other volunteers. She'd been listening to the news, too. 

And then the friend dates were next. I was hoping to continue with outdoor walks, but no way would I try to cajole anyone into something they're not comfortable with, during a pandemic. That's both ridiculous and insulting, in my opinion. A simple lack of respect. 

Now? Now I'm waiting for the jab and glad our world won't constrict any farther than it has. Oh and can I say again, how glad I am to be stuck with N? Because it's true. Love, K

No comments: